ADVERTISE ON OUR SITE

Chong at the Improv - Movie Back On??

Posted by FLA Stoner 
Saw Tommy Chong at the Improv this weekened in Palm Beach, Nov 20th.. GREAT show.. Definitely worth the ticket if you get a chance..

BUT... During their act they mentioned that the C&C reunion movie was going to happen! Is this old material, or is the movie perhaps on again??

Jim
Re: Chong at the Improv - Movie Back On??
November 29, 2005 12:05PM
( is the movie perhaps on again?? )

Ok there's a couple possible scenarios here.

1 - You were stoned and thought that's what was said (no offense)
2 - It was old material
3 - Tommy's doing it WITHOUT Cheech
4 - Tommy's doing it with Cheech appearing in a small cameo
5 - Tommy's doing it with Cheech and we haven't been informed about anything yet

Anyway you analyze it, I personally don't see a "real" C+C movie coming together as we'd all like and expect it to be.

In my personal opinion, the only way I see a "real" C+C reunion happening is if Cheech is in another movie with Tommy (perhaps "sold" as a reunion film as having a small cameo; per my suggestion) and it's extremely successful. Without Cheech getting any derogitory reprecussions from it. Then I could possibly see Cheech being interested in actually pursuing a full role in a reunion film. Otherwise I don't think it's gonna happen....

As to 1) Yes, I was stoned. Who would go to see TC without a good phatty or two before? Surely not me.. But I definitely wasn't mistaken. Shelby even made a joke about calling the reunion movie "Grumpy Old Stoners".

I did ask Shelby when Tommy and her were signing autographs, "So when will we see something about the movie".. She answered about "AKA Tommy Chong", which I thought was a little odd.. But there were a lot of people behind me so I just thanked her for telling me.

My guess, it is old material, but I REALLY hope I am wrong..

January 18, 2006 01:28AM
It is saddening to hear that Richard and Tommy cannot find the common ground to work together again.
I believe I understand Mr. Marin's reservations, certainly he has worked hard to distance himself from the negative aspects of his former partnership and has been sucessfull in doing so. He has achieved more in his professional career than Mr. Chong has, with his movie roles and other involvements.
Obviously he is afraid of damageing the image he has achieved as a role model for youth and the latino community, the ability to lend his celebrity to worthwhile causes is not something to be overlooked for the sake of manoey and a few jokes, and I am not saying he should.
Clearly one could argue that Cheech saw the writing on the wall long before Tommy in his leaving 'ol pedro behind to move on to bigger n better things.
I mean sure, some of us are aware that much of the routine was an act and not fully vested in there actual personalitites. But much of the popular public perception was, and probably still is, that they were "just a couple of stoned dopers spewing pot humor to the dope culture".
And the jokes did get old, for fan and non fan alike, so putting that image to bed maybe wasnt such a bad thing.
Tommy on the other hand continued to embrace that culture with cameo roles and speaking out in support of that community in publications such as HIGH TIMES. And, lending his celebrity to the retail endeavour of Chong glass and other Chong products.

Clearly not separateing himslef from that image made him an iconic target for those who would see the cannibus portrayed in a negative light as a bane to society that must go, and they suceeded in jailing him to try and further that cause.

But regardless, Cheech n Chong is a cultural icon, and now that some years have passed by revisiting these characters is one of the most welcome and overdue partnership re-unions in comedy and popular media today.

I realize that for Tommy revisiting offers him more of a vehicle perhaps than for Rich, and Rich's reservations are valid. But surely they could find some common ground??
Does Cheeh have to promote pot in some way or even "smoke up" in a new movie for it to work? I dont think so.
In fact I belive a very successful and hilarious screenplay could be written in a "where are they now" sort of theme, that could reflect some of their personal views and posistions on things.
But I imagine it has come down to 2 sides of a coin, Tommy wants to do the characters and comedy that made them a sucess and richard wants to but feels bigger responsibilities. I hope they can work it out, we could sure stand to see cheech n chong one last time.
March 03, 2006 03:42AM
non-stonerguy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> And the jokes did get old, for fan and non fan
> alike, so putting that image to bed maybe wasnt
> such a bad thing.

That dog bit will never get old.

April 29, 2006 08:48PM
Mexican Americans / love education / so they go to night school / and take Spanish / and get a B.

This makes me laugh every fucking time.
August 18, 2006 04:34PM
yea, that movie will be awsome mannnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!cheech and chong should start making more cds.im hopein tommy gets over that theres more of cheech on stage, since all chong does is play guitar,but there still funny dudes either way.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login