ADVERTISE ON OUR SITE

Turncoat Chong?

Posted by Taina 
Turncoat Chong?
August 06, 2004 02:05AM
I watched Tommy Chong on TV shortly after he was released from prison and was surprised at his nonchalant demeanor. I've been keeping up with his case over average news channels and have found that Chong's attitude towards his arrest may have done the marijuana decriminalization movement a disservice.
For example, on the Jay Leno show, Chong described his arrest like it was just another ordinary day in his life. He described the SWAT team approach to breaking into his property as hilarious. He described it as though the police were supposed to be in his home. He thought the pointing of loaded weapons was "funny."

Is Tommy Chong so rich that he can afford to remain unaffected after this ordeal? Has he turned his back on the marijuana decriminalization movement so much so that he couldn't see this injustice as his opportunity to influence effect on marijuana prohibition? For example, he has so far not taken any opportunity provided to him to point out that hundreds of thousands of Americans are being arrested and, unlike him, having their lives destroyed.

Chong's description of prison on the Leno show sounded like it was just an incovenience for him. His plea agreement, which saved his wife and son from the same incovenience, sounded like a normal operating procedure. Was Chong thinking, "Ah, I gave myself up to save my wife and kid but lost my business and some of my life . . . big deal."

Not even Cheech Marin took this arrest seriously, having visited Chong only once during his entire prison stay. Is that how you want your friends and associates to treat you if you ever get arrested?

During this past year Chong announced that he would no longer smoke marijuana. Did he think he was doing the decriminalization activists a service by publicly announcing his decision?

Did someone scare Chong into behaving unaffected or has Chong simply tossed in the towel and given up?

Re: Turncoat Chong?
August 12, 2004 04:49PM
Tommy has always had a low key personality. I watched the Leno show and I got a different vibe. The only reason he was arrested was he is Tommy Chong, they wanted to make an example of him. I don't think he appeared to take it seriously just because he didn't want to give them the satisfaction but his voice did sound bothered to me.
Comedians often react to trama with humor (after the fact). Did you ever hear Richard Pryor tell about the time he caught on fire? One of the funniest things I ever heard. I think Tommy was just trying to point out how stupid this war on drugs is and the fact that the people who support it are so foolish they are funny. Having these "flamming fundies" control so much power is awful and some people fight back with ridicule.
Just because people do not smoke the weed anymore doesn't mean they stopped fighting the fight. Hey, you don't even have to have ever smoked it to know it is in the best interests of your children to have it legal and therefore really controlled.
Cheech and Chong are icons, they have to make nice for the general public or the fools will forever be making their lives miserable. However, I am looking forward to their next movie, I hope they stick it to them good.

PeaceAll
Re: Turncoat Chong?
October 10, 2004 12:38AM
i think chong was just giving the people what they really want to see a chong that just doesnt care about the cops breaking into his house he just doesnt give a shit just like he never did. if chong spent his time belly aching about it he would be looked down on the bottom line chong is just being the chong we all know and love!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login